Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Fabric is woven, but the work is not over

I cut the fabric for the recycle bag project off the loom on Thursday, but there is still more to do before they are done.

The fabric itself is not done yet - it needs to be wet finished. The simple explanation is that the fabric is not ready until it has been washed and dried for the first time. Depending on the fabric in question, lots of things can happen during this process. Many fabrics become softer and more pliable. Many shrink. Wool fulls - the individual threads become thicker. Taken to the extreme - wool becomes felt. Often you treat the fabric more roughly than it should ever be treated again - hotter water temperature, hotter dryer, hard pressing with an iron. In the case of the bags, I plan to wash in warm water, air dry and skip ironing. Cotton can stand more heat, but obviously plastic bags are more delicate.

I also need to come up with handles or straps. I have had an Inkle loom for quite awhile, but have never used it. Inkle looms are used to make belts, straps, anything that is very narrow. So - I am learning how to use it while I make the handles. So far I am making lots of mistakes, but things should get better as I go along!

Last will being digging out my old workhorse Singer Featherweight sewing machine. It's older than I am, but it will handle just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment