Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thoughts on Green

I've got some pictures to post of the progress of my recycled bags - just taking awhile to do it. The joys of procrastination. I have been thinking way to much about what it means to be green.

So - the idea behind my project is to recycle plastic bags. I have asked my local buddies to save their Target bags for me. I am getting lots and lots of them. But I am also thinking about what it really means to recycle. The best use for these bags would seem to be to reuse them until they are falling apart, and then find another use for them. Most of us just don't do that. Using them to weave with at least means that they will get used over and over again.

Part of my recycle effort is too use left over cotton yarn from other projects - but I need to be honest with myself. It's not like I am going to throw this stuff out. It will get used for something, whether the bags, scarves, book marks, towels, mug mats - something. Not that I don't think this project is a good idea, or that I am not going to do it.

Then there is a bigger question of green fabrics. The mind goes immediately to the natural and organically grown plant fibers. Cotton is great to work with, but even grown organically it takes it toll on the planet. I must admit I really loved the mercerized cottons - strong, colorful. But of course it is chemically treated. I love rayon - especially rayon chenille. Gorgeous stuff. It is from plant fiber, but chemically processed. There has been a lot of buzz about bamboo - but that is also a rayon - so not as green as everyone assumed. Wool is pretty green, but I am quite allergic. I have some to make scarves with, but have hesitated to get started - I know I will pay a price.

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment